Datsun has compiled a handy list of winter driving tips to ensure you stay safe on the road during this last official month of winter, but also throughout the year. The South African winters are diverse, from dry and dusty in the northern parts of the country, to cold and wet in the south.
- Paying attention to vehicle maintenance is always a good idea, particularly during winter as lower temperatures will exacerbate existing problems, so always ensure your car is serviced on time and faulty parts are fixed before it starts to get cold.
- During winter, use anti-freeze and pay particular attention to maintaining the battery, windscreen wipers, tyres, lights and the radiator.
- Depending on where you live and how cold it gets, it might be a good idea to keep a survival kit in your car, which includes jumper cables, a torch, a first aid kit, water and a blanket.
- Maintain a safe distance behind vehicles on wet roads.
- When driving on wet roads, start slowly to get a feel for the road and don’t brake hard as this will cause your car to skid.
- If you’re driving in heavy rain, your brakes might get wet, so be careful as the braking power might be weaker than normal.
- Drive in a lower gear on tricky roads to improve traction.
- Turn on your lights to increase visibility when driving during rain.
- Don’t make the mistake of assuming your vehicle can handle all weather conditions. All-wheel drive and four-wheel drive vehicles can encounter trouble on slippery roads.
- Be extra careful on roads that aren’t used often as you might come across potholes or other obstructions that don’t have any warning signs.
If you would prefer that the professionals do these checks on your vehicle, Datsun has an extensive dealer network across the country and they’re ready to help.
Datsun is currently running two special deals on two special cars. For just R1,999 per month, you can buy either the Datsun GO, or the super cool Datsun GO Flash with one year’s insurance included in the price. Get down to your nearest Datsun dealer to take advantage of these limited offers.