BMW is not only renowned for its production of high end quality German engineered automobiles, it has also
made a major impact on the worldwide motorcycle fraternity. Holding its own against global brands such as
Harley Davidson, Triumph, Suzuki, and Honda, to name a few, the time has arrived to welcome the all new BMW
Like no other BMW motorcycle before it, this model stands entirely in the tradition of historical BMW
motorcycles – both technically and in terms of design style. The most powerful BMW boxer engine of all time with abundant torque, the newly developed 2-cylinder air cooled engine will be known as the “Big Boxer”. Displacement of 1 802cc, and peak output of 67kW at 4 750 rpm in addition to 150 Nm of torque from 2000 to 4000 rpm produces elemental pulling power.
Double-loop steel tube frame and rear swingarm with enclosed axle drive in rigid-frame look. Outstanding
manufacturing quality and a meticulous attention to detail is also evident in the assembly of the frame. Fork
tubes diameter of 49mm while the suspension travels 120mm at the front and 90mm at the rear, with the telescopic fork encased in fork sleeves. The braking system consists of a twin disc brake at the front and a single
disc brake at the rear in conjunction with four-piston fixed callipers.
The new R 18 offers three riding modes “Rain”, “Roll”, and “Rock” so as to be able to adapt to individual rider
preferences. Automatic stability control, engine drag torque control, reverse assist, and hill start control are also
standard features on the R 18. A first edition variant will be offered worldwide as an exclusive R 18 package at the launch. Exclusive equipment features classic black finish with white pinstriped paintwork and numerous chrome surfaces, seat badge, and “First Edition” chrome clasp on the side covers.
In summary below are some of the highlights on offer on the new BMW R 18…………………
- Biggest-ever BMW Boxer engine with a capacity of 1 802cc
- Output 67 kW at 4 750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm at 3 000 rpm
- More than 150 Nm available at all times from 2000 to 4000 rpm
- Exposed drive shaft based on the classic role model
- Elaborately crafted double-loop steel tube frame
- Disc brakes front and rear, with wide spoked wheels
- State-of-the-art LED lighting technology
- Keyless Ride for convenient function activation by remote control
- Three standard riding modes
- Reverse assist for convenient manoeuvring
- The R 18 First edition exclusive paintwork
The all new BMW R 18 will be available in South Africa from the fourth quarter of 2020.