A legend in South Africa the Volkswagen Kombi and Caravelle have been best-sellers for the past six decades. The T-series range consists of the Pick-up (Single and double cab), Panel-van, Crew bus, Kombi, Caravelle and California.
Going on sale from January 2021 the face lifted line-up will now be called the T6.1 and will be sold in South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia.
So what is New!
From an exterior point of view the radiator grill is significantly larger and forms a single stylish unit with the new bumper. Two chrome-plated cross-bars link the new headlights to the radiator grill and incorporate LED daytime running lights. Six newly designed wheels, six new exterior colours, and seven combined two-tone paintwork finishes complete the update exterior. Moving inside a new instrument panel meets the requirements of digitalisation and provides an additional shelf in front of the driver. The air vents are now adjustable in every direction and simultaneously opened and closed using one slider control. A new multifunctional steering wheel has also been updated with a “View” button enabling the driver to switch between the digital cockpits different display configurations. The Caravelle and California models are equipped with the Discover Pro Media system with navigation as standard on the Kombi Trendline Plus.
A new feature being used for the first time is the Electro-mechanical power steering offering two major benefits. The new system is controlled when needed and reduces fuel consumption and transmits steering commands to the wheels more directly.
Safety has also been upgraded with the following systems…..
- Electronic Stability Control
- Automatic Post-Collision Braking
- Hill Start Assist
- Hill Decent Assist (For 4-motion all-wheel drive)
- Tyre Pressure loss indicator
- Lane change assistant Lane Assist
- Cruise Control
- Parking Assistant Park Assist
- Trailer Assist (Optional)
- Advanced main-beam control system (Optional)
- Rear View camera
The range will include six models, the Panel van, Pick-up and Crew-bus will be aimed at commercial sales and the Caravelle, Kombi and California will be for private recreational use.
- Pick-up. A single or double cab workhorse only available in long wheelbase offering a 5.7 square meters of loading bay in the single cab and 4.2 square meters in the double cab. The 39 centimetres drop down aluminium sides can be dropped down on every side.
- Panel-van. A left-hand sliding door is standard but a second right hand sliding door can be fitted as an option. Spacious load compartment of 6.7 square metres with a low load bed and maximum opening width of 1 700mm and maximum height of 1 410mm.
- Crew-bus. Similar to the panel van with the Crew-bus having a single front passenger seat as well as removable rear seat for a further three passengers. A glazed sliding door allows access to the rear passenger area and a robust rubber floor covering throughout the cab and cargo area provides a sturdy finish when transporting crew and luggage.
- Kombi. Best seller in the range is offered in two models. The Trendline and top of the range Trendline Plus. Interior trim is black on both models as are the seat covers in the standard version. Bumpers are painted in the vehicle body colour with chrome door handles and black instrument visors.
- Caravelle. Only offered in the highline model this variant could be used as a taxi or elegant shuttle bus. Top end finishes include Nappa leather seats, 17-inch Woodstock black diamond-turned allow wheels, heated and folding mirrors, digital cockpit, USB, Crosswind Assist, Trailer-Assist, Park Distance Assist, and front and rear-view cameras. A cooler box with additional battery is optional.
- California Coast. Selling more than 18 000 California’s internationally a year makes this model the number 1 camper van. Living and sleeping areas make this vehicle ideal for big trips and daily journeys. The T6.1 will launch with a choice of three 2.0 litre turbo diesel engines with common rail injection that are both economical and sustainable. The four-cylinder engines deliver between 81kW and 146kW of power.
- 2.0 litre TDI delivering 81kW. 250Nm at 1 250rpm. 5 speed manual gearbox and fuel consumption of 7.3l/100km.
- 2.0 litre TDI delivering 110kW. 340 Nm between 1 500 and 3 000 rpm. 7 speed gearbox and fuel consumption of 8.3l/100km. Top speed 172km/hr
- 2.0 litre TDI delivering 146kW. 450Nm between 1 400 and 2 400 rpm. 7-speed DSG gearbox. Top speed 191 km/hr
- Single cab 2.0 TDI 81kW LWB R412 800
- Single cab 2.0 TDI 110kW 4motion DSG LWB R466 100
- Double cab 2.0 TDI 81kW LWB R485 300
- Double cab 2.0 TDI 146kW 4Motion DSG LWB R590 800
- 2.0 TDI 81kW LWB R530 600
- 2.0 TDI 110kW DSG LWB R568 800
- 2.0 TDI 81kW LWB (10-seater) R612 000
- 2.0 TDI 110kW 4Motion DSG (5-seater) R639 000
- 2.0 TDI 146kW DSG (5-seater) R710 500
- 2.0 TDI 146kW 4Motion DSG LWB (8-seater) R752 700
- 2.0 TDI 81kW Trendline R697 700
- 2.0 TDI 110kW DSG Trendline R726 000
- 2.0 BiTDI 146kW 4Motion DSG Trendline Plus R871 800
- Highline2.0 BiTDI 146kW 4Motion DSG R1 149 400
- 2.0 BiTDI 146kW 4Motion DSG R1 196 500
Commercial vehicles, come with a standard 3 year/60 000km Easy Drive Service Plan, 2 year/unlimited km manufacturing warranty.
The Kombi, Caravelle and California models come with a standard 5 year/60 000 maintenance Plan and a 3 year/120 000 manufacturing warranty. The entire range carries a 12-year anti-corrosion warranty. Service intervals is 15 000km.